Practical Law US is looking for a Managing Editor for our Public Sector service who will report to the Senior Director, National and State Content, and work closely with the Director of Product Management, Public Sector, and will:
• Directly manage the editorial team of the Public Sector service, including:
o Interviewing and onboarding, as necessary.
o Overseeing and monitoring individual content production and maintenance targets and managing workflow to ensure content production targets and maintenance targets are met in accordance with appropriate quality standards.
o Overseeing appropriate training and development related to their work and responsibilities.
o Setting goals, conducting performance reviews, providing feedback, and approving time keeping.
o Guiding and supporting consistency and efficiency in publishing and maintaining the content.
o Conducting periodic one-on-one meetings with individual service editors as well as team meetings.
• Manage and contribute to the editorial function of the Public Sector service, including:
o Collaborating with the Director of Product Management – Public Sector to develop the strategic content direction for federal and municipal government content to be published on Practical Law’s online services.
o Creating annual service content production and maintenance plans and other editorial targets.
o Drafting, writing, and editing resources, including standard documents, practice notes, and checklists in accordance with Practical Law writing style for online web publishing as well as Practical Law’s companion print magazine, Practical Law The Journal.
o Coordinating cross-service collaboration and coding.
o Preparing monthly service reports to the Head of Editorial.
o Preparing and managing travel and expense budgets with Finance.
• Develop relationships with government attorneys, relevant law firm attorneys, and industry groups to ensure that Practical Law’s Public Sector content is topical and meets subscriber needs.
• Assist the Government Sales Channel by participating in sales calls and demonstrating the service to potential subscribers.
• Assist the Practical Law and Government Segment marketing teams by participating in webinars and other marketing initiatives.
• Manage and drive to completion certain service and business wide projects to be agreed with the Senior Director, National and State Content, the Director for Product Management, Public Sector, and/or the Head of Editorial.
• Minimum of six (6) years’ experience working as a government attorney or in private practice representing government clients.
• A passion for writing and excellent editing skills, including:
o Strong technical drafting skills;
o A very close attention to detail;
o Impressive command of grammar, punctuation, and plain English; and
o The ability to write about complex legal issues clearly and simply.
• Enthusiasm and ambition, with a desire to improve the efficiency of legal services.
• A good understanding of the needs and priorities of government attorneys and the legal market.
• Strong people management skills. Prior management experience preferred.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 45,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.