As part of our mission to make trading better, we are in a dynamic, fast-moving environment and we need our Linux Engineers to ensure the stability and scalability of our environment. We take pride in coming up with solutions that are drastically different from the ones traditionally used in the financial industry – tools like Chef, Jenkins, yum, git and Artifactory are part of our day-to-day job.
Our platform may have existed for 15+ years, but we are embarking on an exciting journey as an independent, technology startup. We have innovative ideas and a wealth of exciting opportunities in front of us, and need people who are up for the challenge and believe in the vision. We are looking for a Linux Engineer who can automate everything and is not afraid of leveraging techniques from the Open Source community to build a modern, scalable, resilient and flexible IT architecture. Your goal will be to eliminate inefficient manual operations – leveraging existing configuration management tools and implementing in-house automation is how we will achieve that goal.
- Evaluate the technical requirements to automate specific tasks in our environment
- Implementation of scripts that will become part of our configuration management infrastructure
- Interface daily with members of the Technology Infrastructure team
- Proactive management and monitoring of our environment, together with extensive problem identification, ownership, resolution or escalation
- Owning resolution of significant system outages, acting as contact person with internal users and external vendors when needed
- Identify improvements that will contribute to increased availability, stability, and performance in our environment
- Work closely with development, QA and mission control teams
- Work with developers on establishing requirements for new components in our Linux and network infrastructure
- Identify and develop tools to facilitate the continuous monitoring of our production environment
- Work with development teams to build a scalable, reliable, and robust environment
- Be involved in a follow the sun support model with regional teams as well as rotational on-call escalation
- 5+ years of experience in a role that involved supporting Linux in an mission-critical enterprise environment
- Detailed knowledge of Linux systems (recent versions of RHEL, CentOS)
- Good understanding of configuration management concepts – experience with Chef would be ideal
- Good understanding of public and private cloud technologies and services such as Openstack, AWS, etc.
- Familiar with virtualization concepts – knowledge of KVM and libvirt required
- Proficient at operating a Linux system via the command line environment
- Familiar with networking concepts such as IP addressing, routing, firewalling and basic network troubleshooting tools
- Fluent in shell scripting – ability to automate command-line operations with reliability in mind
- Familiar with basic security concepts and best practices related to authentication, auditing and access monitoring
- Good working knowledge of software packaging concepts based on RPM and yum
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
Nice to have:
- Familiarity with the Ruby programming language, especially in the context of system automation
- Desire to be exposed to new tools and programming languages
- Desire to be exposed to concepts relevant to the financial industry
- Ability to get involved in the technical investigation of issues and proactively assume leadership
- Experience in a "continuous deployment" environment including daily change control meetings
- Strong ability to own side projects including building or improving in-house tools
- Hands-on experience with infrastructure logging, monitoring, and alerting tools
- Troubleshooting knowledge of network routing and protocols is beneficial, exposure to packet tracing tools is ideal
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 45,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
New York-New York-United States of America