Thomson Reuters seeks a mid-level technical writer to design best-in-industry, easy-to-use customer tax content and technology product documentation for its ONESOURCE platform. Thomson Reuters is a leading provider of transaction tax management solutions to companies of all sizes, enabling Finance, Tax, and IT professionals to achieve accurate, timely and cost-effective compliance.
In this position, you will produce content for products and services in various media types for a wide range of uses. You will be responsible for the creation and maintenance of documentation that translates highly technical language into that which is easy to understand, clear, and logical. You will plan, write, design and review relevant content for online help, print, and video. You should expect to develop documentation for complex products and highly technical processes and projects.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess a technical aptitude and be able to juggle the documentation duties of an entire product suite with some guidance. You will work with a variety of product managers, in multiple environments (Agile and Waterfall), and must be able to respond quickly and reasonably to requests.
You must be able to work in the US and able to work onsite in the Carrollton, TX office.
At least three years of documentation and technical writing experience for a software or tax-related company is required.
- Analyze information from multiple resources to write/edit/assemble/update and deliver content consistent with company editorial standards.
- Use writing and production skills and experience to write or assemble complex product documentation using multiple development tools that both describes and shows the end user how to perform required tasks.
- Gather and translate content and/or data from technical subject matter experts into comprehensible text for internal and external customers.
- Coordinate documentation with other technical writers for product releases while working with business analysts and software engineers to ensure instructions are accurate and consistent.
- Provide timely, accurate, and topical information updates for assigned product(s).
- Provide peer review and editing support within the team for other writers (including tax research and customer support) and product staff within guidelines.
- Anticipate and respond to internal and external customer needs; assess requirements and identify solutions by modifying practices and procedures.
Technical/Professional Skills and Competencies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including composition/grammar, vocabulary, spelling, and punctuation skills
- Ability to accurately interpret complex data and express findings in a clear and concise manner
- Demonstrated ability to organize a large body of content and/or documentation in a way that allows quick access to information
- Has thorough understanding of business terminology and demonstrated ability to synthesize and summarize content concisely and accurately
- Solid knowledge of publications work processes, tools, and relevant product information
- Works competently in a single-source environment and with version control applications such as SVN, MS Source Safe, or Git
- Ability to read, create, and modify issues using bug-tracking software such as JIRA
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities, work plan, and make independent decisions
- Ability to quickly adjust to changing deadlines, priorities, documents and development tools
- Excellent research, analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communications skills that promote collaboration and teamwork; establishes strong working relationships with team members, and internal and external stakeholders (e.g., customers, product managers, outside authors) to influence and provide effective and timely support in line with business needs
- Demonstrated understanding of document design and development processes
- Experience working with templates, CSS, and development tools such as Microsoft Word and Madcap Flare or an equivalent topic-based authoring tool
- Experience creating product-embedded assistance videos in Camtasia, or similar tool, is preferred
- Experience with transaction tax solutions is desired, but not required
- Experience working in a mobile app development environment and with bleeding-edge development tools and technology is desired, but not required
- Must be able to balance, quality, creativity, and practicality in work product
A Bachelor's degree in business, technology, communications or a related field is required.
Writing samples required
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 45,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Carrollton-Texas-United States of America