The Director, Product Management is a key member of the US Practical Law product management team primarily charged with coordinating PL’s product management responsibilities for the corporate in-house customer base.
The Director, Product Management will work closely with customer segments, editorial, other product management teams, strategy, marketing, finance and sales partners to identify and help implement growth opportunities that align with our business objectives. The Director will lead an already established team of at least two product managers.
- Define and drive vision, design, and feature set for Practical Law US (especially as it related to our corporate/in-house legal customers).
- Devise business plan for budgetary approval and product roadmaps.
- Drive innovation and differentiation across group propositions, product, or service to address current and future client needs
- Ownership of product strategy, design, business requirements, feature and functionality tradeoffs for one or more strategic initiatives and/or proposition, product, or service especially as it related to our corporate/in-house legal customers)
- Support Business teams as required for key presentations, strategy updates, etc.
- Identifies build vs. buy opportunities for proposition, product, or services and leverages the organization to execute as needed.
- Demonstrates substantial expertise on Practical Law and Practical Law Connect and legal industry trends (especially as it relates to in-house attorneys).
Example projects include:
- Content Planning: partner with PL Editorial to prioritize product development opportunities and identify opportunities for the biggest growth potential for in-house attorneys.
- Business Growth: customer research projects, market assessment and sizing, and product bundling strategies
- Partnering closely with product marketing and sales to help refine customers/prospect stories and provide subject matter and product expertise to support new sales and retention initiatives, particularly as they relate to our corporate/in-house customer base.
- Partner closely within the product management team to provide expertise and thought leadership on the development and roadmap of Practical Law Connect.
- Understand the needs of our global law department customers and help craft the global product/platform vision (working with our global partners).
- Represent Practical Law in customer-facing interactions (e.g. sales calls, conferences)
Experience and Education:
- JD required
- Senior attorney with significant experience (10 year’s minimum) working in, and preferably managing, an in-house legal department and/or working in a legal service provider or legal information company.
- Significant industry and/or senior product management experience, including experience working on international or cross-border transactions and/or managing or working in a law department or with colleagues outside of the US; global experience preferred
- Experience with Practical Law/Practical Law Connect and legal know how products / markets, strongly preferred
- Strong track record of end-to-end delivery on one or more complex projects involving a global, cross functional team.
- Proven ability to lead and manage a physical or virtual team and develop and grow organizational talent.
- Able to communicate complex propositions, products or services to internal and external stakeholders as demonstrated by successful launch of one or more products from business case through product delivery and management.
- Demonstrated ability to understand commercial, technological and strategic drivers in order to execute strategy.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to understand and interpret fundamental workings and trends within the in-house legal market.
- Ability to understand and apply technology to product development.
- Proficiency in product commercialization and marketing.
- Ability to drive a direct and indirect team to execute product strategy.
- Negotiation, complex problem solving, conflict management.
- Superior client engagement skills, including proven ability to build and manage client relationships.
- Ability to travel periodically as necessary - 15%
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 45,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Eagan-Minnesota-United States of America;New York-New York-United States of America;Washington-District of Columbia-United States of America;Atlanta-Georgia-United States of America