Sr Oracle Database Engineer (DB Business Unit Consulting)
Thomson Reuters is the leading provider of integrated information solutions for the world's businesses and professionals, providing customers with competitive advantage. Our databases provide mission critical data processing services and it takes highly skilled DBA’s to build and maintain these systems. We are looking to grow our DB consulting team. We’re looking for exceptional DBA’s who are interested in using the latest database technologies to deliver industry-leading systems, with results that go directly to the bottom line.
We are looking to add a Senior Database Engineer to our Business Unit Consulting database team. This global team interacts directly with our key business customers, collaborating on the planning, implementation and consulting of the key databases systems that deliver data to the critical, revenue-generating applications that drive the TR business. These systems use Oracle database software running primarily on versions of the Linux operating systems.
This position entails working across the Thomson Reuters Technology departments partnering with other technical teams to design, develop, test, and assist in implementing Oracle database solutions to meet business needs. Individuals in this role will also help drive and assist in planning the implementations of new database technologies.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
Database Engineering, Design and Standards
- Recognize and communicate opportunities to add value through the application of new database technologies
- Analyze, design, implement and test new features using the technologies provided by database vendors such as Oracle
- Produce and maintain detailed technical database documentation for assigned tasks and projects
- Partner with the business technology Architecture teams and other Data Center Operations teams to identify and resolve gaps such as single points of failure or recovery issues
- Business is global attitude, experience in working effectively with virtual teams preferred
- Proven track record of being able to solve complex problems independently and to seek out and generate innovative solutions
- Partner with specific Development and Business partners to assess database hardware, database design and configuration requirements and recommend solutions that conform to supported standards
- Ability to support and understand physical data model concepts and strategies.
- Develop and maintain standard solutions for database software installation and database creation
- Develop and maintain standard solutions for database monitoring and management
- Develop and maintain standard solutions for database patching and upgrading existing database environments
- Develop and maintain standard solutions for database migrations, upgrades and technical refreshes
- Develop and maintain standard solutions for tracking database assets and the critical information about those assets necessary to allow all DBAs to provide support for all assets in the environment
- Develop and maintain processes, procedures and the necessary tools to regularly audit the database environment for conformance to implementation standards.
- Provide escalation support for the DBA Support team for production incidents that require application specific knowledge or investigation.
- Assume ownership of database related problems; pursue root cause analysis and problem resolution through coordinated interaction with database vendors and internal support teams.
- Use established Shared Services support processes and tools to document and track problem resolution
- Execute high risk changes that require specific application knowledge or are using new technologies, approaches or techniques
- Direct the execution of periodic audits for standards compliancy and backup consistency.
Ongoing Education and Training
- Learn and stay current on the features and functionality of Oracle, focusing on technology to improve performance, availability, reliability, stability, and work efficiencies.
- Learn and stay current on the Architectural standards supported by the Shared Services Architecture group.
- Translate highly technical solutions/problems into clear language useful to audiences at varying technical levels
- Prepare high quality technical documentation, present it clearly to interested parties
- Communicate in a professional manner when interacting across staff levels and internal/external customers
- Mentor database engineers
- Research and develop team and project leadership skills.
Management and Administration
- Contribute to and influence a variety of projects concurrently
- Set individual goals that are consistent with business goals
- Participate in initiatives to define, measure, and report on database quality and stability
Business Acumen and Strategy
- Has broad knowledge of Thomson Reuters Professional products
- Proactively generates relevant ideas for new and improved use of technology
- Understands the impact of new projects and technical impacts to supported systems
- Collaborates with peers, architects and managers to determine project strategy and how best to implement/support it
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related technical or engineering degree preferred.
- 4+ years of experienced in IT
- 5+ years experience providing 24x7 support for Oracle on Unix platforms, Linux preferable
- 1+ years experience with RAC
- 1+ years experience with Data Guard
- Strong quantitative, analytical, communication and verbal skills with a strong customer service focus
- Basic data modeling and relational database design skills
- Ability to work as part of a team, as well as independently toward assigned goals
- Preferable 2+ years experience with UNIX shell scripting
- Preferable 2+ years in a development or support organization supporting large applications
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including a strong customer service focus.
- Experience working across and leading virtual teams.
Additional Qualifications (considered a plus):
- 1+ years experience working with an Exadata environment
- 1+ years experience working with GoldenGate
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 45,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Eagan-Minnesota-United States of America;Carrollton-Texas-United States of America