MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
- Provide primary support for critical, complex production Oracle databases
- Troubleshoot, investigate and drive resolution of incidents
- Administration of Oracle on Unix/Linux environments
- Perform Oracle Systems Database Administration across multiple Oracle database environments and ensure continuous 24x7 operation and availability in support of mission critical internal production applications.
- Strong operational familiarity with RAC on Oracle 11g. Is it still needed? We are Deracking
- Perform various project related database requests for customers. Tasks can include DDL generation, cloning, schema and/or table level data refreshes, performance tuning.
- Support database backup/recovery using storage technologies such as NAS and SAN etc.
- Collaborate with application/development partners to address performance reported issues.
- Manage backup/recovery and provide Disaster Recovery planning.
- Contribute/write/maintain OS level scripts (i.e., UNIX shell) for system DB maintenance. Ensure the quality and consistency of data and database systems by following a defined set of procedures (change control, security procedures, user passwords, backups, etc).
- Contribute to the continued development and documentation of operational and application related database standards and procedures
- Pro-actively identify database issues and resolutions.
- Assume ownership of database related problems; work closely with internal technical teams to pursue problem resolution and root cause analysis
- Coordinate interaction with vendors, creating service requests and escalating as needed to ensure timely resolution
- Provide problem management and resolution for repeat issues
- Make recommendations and contribute to the design and development of long-term solutions
- Respond to inquiries from business partners related to performance, application errors, storage capacity, etc.
- Participate in new system builds; create databases, schemas and deploy standard jobs and monitoring, and user permissions and login administration.
- Through review and solid handoffs, ensure system supportability prior to production utilization
- Adhere to documented change and incident management policies
- Use established Shared Services support processes and tools to document and track problem resolution
- Develop technical documentation for use in future incident resolution
- Provide support outside of normal office hours when necessary and appropriate to support major database implementations or to react to highly critical database production issues. (emergency and infrequent pre-planned occurrences)
Ongoing Education and Training.
- Learn and stay current on the features and functionality of Oracle databases, focusing on technology to improve performance, availability, reliability, stability and work efficiencies.
- Learn and stay current on standard database solutions designed by the Systems Engineering Database group.
Leadership and Communication (15%)
- Translate highly technical solutions/problems into clear language useful to audiences at varying technical levels
- Prepare high quality technical documentation, present it clearly to interested parties
- Communicate in a concise and professional manner when interacting across staff levels and internal/external customers
- Mentor and coach database engineers
- Research and develop team leadership skills.
Management and Administration (5%)
- Contribute to and influence a variety of work streams concurrently
- Set individual goals that are consistent with business goals
- Participate in initiatives to define, measure, and report on database quality and stability
Business Acumen and Strategy (10%)
- Develop the knowledge of Thomson Reuters product lines and supported technologies
- Proactively generates relevant ideas for new and improved operations or use of technology
- Understands the impact of new projects and technical impacts to supported systems
- Collaborates with peers, Design & Engineering DBAs and managers to determine system strategy and how best to implement and support it
- Bachelor's Degree — Computer Science, technical or engineering degree preferred
- 5+ years in the IT field with at least 4 years of DBA responsibilities in Oracle environments.
- Experience in Oracle Installation, Configuration and Upgrades
- Experience with Oracle replication technologies such as Dataguard, Streams and Golden Gate will be added advantage.
- Strong quantitative, analytical, communication and verbal skills with a strong customer service focus
- Performance monitoring and tuning skills are desired.
- Understanding of storage technologies such as NAS and SAN etc.
- Ability to problem solve in high pressure situations
- Extensive backup/recovery experience including Disaster Recovery planning.
- Ability to quickly learn and adapt to changes in database technology
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team via excellent verbal and written communication, as well as independently toward assigned goals
- Experience in scripting languages shell and Perl etc.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 45,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.