Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
About This Position
Thomson Reuters Tax & Accounting (TRTA) is seeking a Senior Oracle Database Engineer to join our Checkpoint technology team. Checkpoint is the market-leading online tax and accounting research product with authoritative and nationally respected content and productivity tools. You will be responsible for designing and implementing Checkpoint database enhancements and troubleshooting and resolving database related defects. You will also be doing application support and development. Active interaction with internal customers, other developers, Quality Assurance, Business System Analysts, and Customer Support counterparts is an integral part of the role.
Major areas of accountability
Database Engineering, Design and Standards
- Define database design and infrastructure standards in conjunction with the architecture team, including supported DBMS, features, and server configurations
- Partner with specific development and business partners to assess database hardware, database design and configuration requirements. Recommend solutions that conform to supported standards
- Develop and maintain standard solutions for database software installation and database creation
- Develop and maintain standard solutions for database migrations, upgrades and technical refreshes
- Develop and maintain processes, procedures and the necessary tools to regularly audit the database environment for conformance to implementation standards
- Provide occasional critical issue support for front line operational support DBA team for production incidents that require application specific knowledge or investigation
- Assume ownership of database related problems and pursue root cause analysis and problem resolution through coordinated interaction with database vendors and internal support teams
- Define and implement database changes that require specific application knowledge or are using new technologies, approaches or techniques
- Direct the execution of periodic audits for standards compliancy and backup consistency
- Participate in initiatives to define, measure, and report on database quality and stability
Application development and support
- Write and modify software using industry and company methodologies
- Provide input into the quality of development in the organization and promote standardization
- Build and execute unit and integration tests to ensure code meets requirements
- Participate in project planning sessions to understand requirements, provide design options, and provide work breakdown estimates
- Assist in Quality Assurance processes and customer issue resolution
Ongoing Education and Training
- Learn and stay ahead of current features and functionality of Oracle database technology, focusing on technology to improve performance, availability, reliability, stability, and work efficiencies
- Know the latest on the architectural standards supported by Thomson Reuters
Business Insight and Strategy
- Willingness and ability to gain broad knowledge on Thomson Reuters Professional products
- Passionately generate meaningful ideas for new and improved use of technology
- Understands the impact of new projects and technical impacts to supported systems
- Collaborates with peers, architects and managers to figure out project strategy and how best to implement/support it
Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills:
- Solid experience and working knowledge of Oracle 11g, and Oracle RAC
- Practical experience and working knowledge of various data modelling tools
- Experience working within a virtualized Linux (Red Hat / Oracle) / Solaris environment
- Experience working with Oracle supporting resources, including meta-link, support forums, etc.
- Ought to have a comprehensive understanding and experience with various database backup/recovery procedures, tools, and methodologies
- Comfortable in Java/J2EE development, one or more agile development methodologies, and multiple software development tools
- Experience with SOA, Web services, SOAP, and REST is desired
- Experience with user interface technologies is nice to have
- Demonstrate being a great teammate with phenomenal social skills, strong drive, excellent work ethics and strong commitment to team and organizational success
- Possess a good ability to quickly understand user requirements or issues and provide solutions that meet their needs
- Demonstrable ability to effectively prioritize and execute multiple tasks in a high pressure, customer service oriented and team oriented reciprocal environment
- Demonstrated ability to plan effectively to complete time sensitive tasks and clearly document results while following standard processes and procedures
- Ideally you will possess strong verbal and interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively communicate with peers, application developers, technical management, and business management.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required. Computer science degree preferred
- Advanced skills as hands-on Oracle DBA support engineer
- Intermediate Java skills
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 45,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Eagan-Minnesota-United States of America