We are looking for a senior writer to develop, optimize and refine content in the area of consumer-facing and legal professional-facing website content. This position will be based on our Sunnyvale, CA office. This is a full-time position.
- -Write a variety of original legal information content of interest to consumer and/or legal professional audiences, under the direction of an editor and/or team lead, including, but not limited to:
- Writing general legal informational content for consumer audiences;
- Summarizing existing original legal information content for use in different venues;
- Researching and accurately summarizing statutes and related legal content within a variety of legal practice areas;
- Planning, developing, and creating informational content for use by practicing attorneys in the areas of legal news, legal practice guides, small law firm management tips and techniques, technology for practicing attorneys, corporate counsel news and information, and related legal practice information;
- Reviewing legal information content for legal accuracy, misstatements of the law, and online usability; and
- Correcting content for style, grammar, punctuation, and spelling. (70%)
- Assist editor in mentoring and training new writers, and content production and editing tasks, as needed, including topic sourcing, copyediting, metrics analysis, and database maintenance. (10%)
- Track content performance using multiple measures (e.g., traffic, syndication, conversion) and work with team lead, editors and/or senior editors to use performance measures to constantly refine and improve content creation style. (10%)
- Work with FindLaw Proprietary Sites Team to optimize content using best practices in tagging, keyword usage, headline creation, content optimization and basic SEO. (10%)
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- JD required.
- Current Bar membership and professional legal practice experience highly desired, but not required.
- Intermediate understanding of HTML and SEO.
- 2+ years of professional writing or online media experience required.
- Internet savvy with experience using social media tools such as blogs, message boards, social networks, microblogging, social bookmarking and/or social sharing.
- Excellent writing skills, with ability to write in a conversational tone and demonstrated ability to successfully write for the web, including experience writing for lay audiences.
- Ability to work independently under deadline and self-motivate.
- Excellent time management skills, including the ability to effectively prioritize and manage multiple assignments from multiple editors.
- Thrives in a “start up” working environment, but is keenly aware of the special responsibilities that come with writing for a major multi-national information company.
- Has an interest in writing about legal topics for consumer and legal professional audiences.
- Is comfortable working under an editor and recognizes the importance of constructive criticism.
- Works well in a team environment, embraces change and is highly adaptable.
** To apply, send resume, cover letter and writing sample to the email above. Please provide at least one writing sample as applications without writing samples will not be considered.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 45,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Sunnyvale-California-United States of America