Area Controller (Enterprise Technology)
Accounting & Finance Family Group
9/12/2017 5:04:09 PM
Job DescriptionWe are the leading source of intelligent information for the world's businesses and professionals, providing customers with competitive advantage. Intelligent information is a unique synthesis of human intelligence, industry expertise and innovative technology that provides decision-makers with the knowledge to act, enabling them to make better decisions faster. We deliver this must-have insight to the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Business Unit: UK Corporate Finance / F&R Finance/ F&R Compliance
The Enterprise Technology Controllership team focuses cost assurance of the Financial Statements of the Enterprise Technology & Operations business. The Controllership function is a key element in the company's strategy to leverage best practices, support future acquisitions and growth, and streamline processes and activities across the organisation and the world to return value to our customers by becoming more effective and efficient. This is a growing organization where exceptional individuals can make a lasting impact on the company and develop through challenging assignments.
Position Title: Area Controller (Enterprise Technology)
Requisition No: JREQ089974
The role is focused on control of the Statement of Financial Position, Income Statement and Cash flow statement for the Technology organization. This London-based position reports to the Assistant Controller, Enterprise Controllership (also London-based).
Foundational success will be measured by (1) executing oversight of the monthly close relating to selected technology operations, ensuring integrity in the results and applying critical accounting estimates & judgments; and by (2) demonstrating partnership with our stakeholders to support achievement of their objectives through sound counsel on technical and operational accounting matters. Above all, the individual must have an “Enterprise mindset” – be part of Enterprise Controllership and keep a wider perspective to support the entire Accounting Organization through collaboration on activities and projects outside your immediate responsibilities to achieve wider organizational objectives.
- The Technology controllership operating model is evolving in response to the formation of the Enterprise Technology & Operations organization in 2016. This role may look across global technology operations, but will also partner up with individual stakeholders accountable for specific functions (i.e. software development, infrastructure or business unit focus vs. company- wide focus) within global technology.
Major Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
QualificationsEssential Skills and Experience:
Areas of Accountability:
- Financial month end / quarter end close
- Oversee month-end activities with a complete understanding of the close process, including timelines, thresholds, SAP financial framework and management reporting consequences.
- Lead / investigate and resolve accounting and process issues arising during the close.
- Ensure accounting procedures and controls are consistently applied and are compliant with Thomson Reuters policies
- Functional area income statement and balance sheet reviews with FP&A stakeholders.
- Improve content of deliverables, enhance underlying reporting processes and support execution of restatements from organizational realignments.
- Ensure robust analysis, understanding and narrative for inclusion in monthly / quarterly deliverables through collaboration with staff accountable for reporting (both within Enterprise Controllership and our group External Reporting function). Connect technology operations to financial statement outcomes.
- Lead cost assurance
- Partner with FP&A
- Enhance control over reported actual results (i.e. results are reasonable, adequate and exposures identified and recorded timely) by obtaining an understanding of the underlying activities supporting run-rates and expectations.
- Deliver thoughtful analysis of actual results so FP&A and their internal customers can focus on business and forward looking implications:
- Highlight composition, key accounting judgments and one-off items; and
- Keep monthly / quarterly operating rhythm of deliverables.
- Build and maintain collaborative relationships with key internal / external customers by providing regular and frequent communications as primary business facing representative
- Deliver process improvement in cost assurance activities.
- Technical accounting
- Prepare thorough / wholesome written accounting summaries of one off transactions / new contracts including engagement with external / internal auditor(s), as required
- Research accounting topics and develop practical application, as required.
- Control & Effectiveness
- Identify inconsistent processes and/or accounting and drive/participate in projects to deliver consistent, excellent, continuous execution.
- Partner with legal entity controllers and across the finance organization to apply global best practices, resolve issues and improve processes.
- Maintain and develop relevant Sarbanes Oxley 404 control environment.
- Maintain responsibility for quarterly financial reviews and annual audit with both internal and external auditors via ensuring compliance with Thomson Reuters accounting policies.
- Any other ad hoc task as directed
- Technology Controllership
- Global Accounting
- Enterprise Technology FP&A
- Enterprise Technology Finance
- Strong analytical, business acumen, written/verbal communication, interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Ability to show leadership through persuasive dialogue with key stakeholders
- Self motivated coupled with a ‘Can do’ attitude
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural and multinational environment
- Strong customer focus & work ethic coupled with a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Adaptability, flexibility and responsiveness
- Proven ability to meet deadlines / Clear and effective communicator
Desired Skills and Experience: Locations
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (inc. Excel), SAP, BEX and SAS FM (preferable)
- Strong technical IFRS accounting knowledge & practical experience
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
- Preferably has an undergraduate degree in Accounting or Finance with relevant professional qualification (i.e. CPA, CA or equivalent with Big-4 background preferable)
- Extensive experience working in accounting and finance preferred
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit careers.thomsonreuters.com.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
United Kingdom-London-London-GBR-London-30 South Colonnade