Position Title: Data Engineer
Product or Service:
BOLD Solutions is a new proposition framework that helps client’s surface insight and generate value from unstructured content, from proprietary and third party sources, as well as the Thomson Reuters Knowledge Graph, news and other repositories. It combines Big Data technologies, Open and Linked Data standards, natural language processing and machine learning in an innovative, market-leading proposition that offers a unique and comprehensive platform for intelligent meta-data tagging, entity identification, graph relationships and analytics.
This role will provide customer continuity from pre-sale technical and content specification and design, through validation, requirements gathering, proof of concept and statement of work stages, to post-sale set-up and execution. It will contribute to replicable and scalable solutions to customer business workflow challenges in order to gain new business win market share and increase customer satisfaction.
Supporting a specific region in BOLD solutions implementations. Provide input (feedback from customers) to segments and product management on content and functionality.
Core profile, subject matter expert in technical aspects of big data implementation, able to project manage and take a leadership role in the delivery of BOLD solutions projects, as well as to contribute to the preparation of technical proposals for complex solutions which requires the integration of several distinct components - products, technology and content. The role acts as liaison across multiple customer personas including data scientists, professional end users, innovation leads, budget holders and executive sponsors.
Main Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
- Project delivery - provides specialized consulting activities in the delivery of projects, with particular regard to the following projects phases:
- Customer requirements gathering and analysis
- Design of Architectures
- Technical installation
- Project implementation
- Quality assurance
- Bid Development - Be involved in the preparation of complex technical proposal, contributing to the related key tasks such as customer requirements analysis, design of solutions architectures, high level project plan and estimation of professional services effort required for implementation
- Expertise - subject matter expert in BOLD implementation workflows and related solutions packages and products, providing domain expertise to our customers relative to solution propositions
- Project execution – Deliver the technical & data-engineer part of the designed solution during POC & Customer implementation stages. Work in tandem with established professional services team that would help with initial BOLD Tech & content installation and work with them on executing the overall design of the pre-defined solution during POC & Implementation phases
- Client Technical Training - Contributes to the design and preparation as well as delivers technical training to our customers on products and technology related to our offering.
- Post-sale remain available for any amendments or new modelling parameters that require data-engineer expertise
Essential Skills/Experience Required:
- Having worked on big data projects with proven relevant experience
- Experience in implementing end user cases in the big data space; having worked on the technical and business aspects of data integration and business intelligence especially in the financial markets industry (ideally capital markets)
- Experience in conceptualizing, designing and building big data solutions and integration systems with data from multiple sources preferably using Hadoop and Spark
- Knowledge of Open Data initiatives and Linked Data (semantic web) standards
- Familiarity with relational databases and query languages such as SQL, as well as Java, NoSQL databases, SPARQL, RDF and graph technologies, and scripting knowledge such as Python or Groovy. Others such as R and Ruby, also desirable having worked on data analysis and data visualization tool implementations
- Comfortable with data massaging, wrangling and concordance across multiple sources and diverse formats (RDF, delimited, databases, feeds etc) including large text editing
- Content familiarity and willingness to learn more, particularly around ‘pivot’ sets such as organizations, people, news, metadata, etc, and understanding of the PermID system; ability to forensically analyze, decompose and model content from originating sources e.g. authority strategic-data-interfaces and third parties, through meta-data Tagging systems and information transforms into Knowledge Graphs, Graph Feed, and Graph technology (e.g. Data-Fusion)
- Basic knowledge/understanding of use of ontologies and some familiarity of OWL representation (or at least concepts of it)
- Being able to create examples, prototypes, demonstrations
- Basic understanding of financial industry and institutions and their business
- Knowledge of customer business workflows and products for one or more solutions areas of growth: big data analytics, enterprise data, trading,
- Strong analytical skills, ability to translate business use-cases into functional requirements and design feasible BOLD solutions architectures
- Excellent communications skill
- 'Challenger' skills - an expert at leveraging and coaching others on a variety of approaches to solicit valuable information, even in challenging situations (e.g., in dissimilar, hostile, or highly charged situations)
- Decision process understanding - ability to develop a comprehensive understanding of purchase decision processes and criteria by which decision makers define success
Desired Skills/Experience Required:
- Project management skills
- Enterprise wide thinking - able to give end to end solutions
- Ability to work in a dynamic matrix environment and influence groups outside of solution to execute efficiently
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 45,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.