ONESOURCE Data Engine Platform, Sr. Software Engineer (Big Data)
More US corporations and global accounting firms rely on Thomson Reuters’ ONESOURCE software to manage their US direct tax compliance obligations than on any other alternative. We seek to extend this market leadership by creating the next generation of tax and accounting software, specifically by breaking free from traditional constraints and exploiting the nearly limitless capacity of the cloud. If you are a talented, results oriented and innovative software engineer, this might be the career opportunity you’ve been seeking.
As part of the product engineering team, you will utilize your talents and expertise to develop our newest data engine platform to enable seamless data sharing among applications, efficient management of master data and reference data.
You’ll have a key role working alongside other engineers and with a variety of other disciplines, including TechOps/DevOps, Java software engineering and quality assurance. You have top-notch communication and interpersonal skills. Your hands will be on the keyboard, but you’ll also be involved with helping the team reach consensus on strategies, roadmaps and designs.
- Thinking in terms of computing at scale. Liberated from the traditional constraints of legacy data centers and monolithic architectures, you design and construct elastic, fault-tolerant, high-performance, scalable systems, that are cloud native. Legacy systems are to be maintained with traditional High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) strategies.
- Agile, collaborative and flexible. We are organized around self-directed, largely autonomous Scrum teams. You work well with others, enjoy opportunities to collaborate and readily adapt as strategies evolve and priorities change.
Here are the kinds of skills we are looking for:
- Engineering Excellence. You have at least three years of experience in a variety of contexts during which you’ve contributed to the construction of scalable, extensible software solutions and systems. You understand technology and possess a passion for excellence. You instinctively partner with the Quality Engineering and Quality Assurance team members, responding immediately to failing test cases and ensuring that quality is engineered from the Inside Out.
- Bias towards action. You believe that speed and quality aren’t mutually exclusive. You’ve shown good judgment about shipping as fast as possible while still making sure that products are built in a sustainable, responsible way — and you’re comfortable making mistakes, failing quickly and safely, learning a lot along the way.
- Passion and energy. Because you love what you do, you bring infectious enthusiasm to all your endeavors. You always perform at your absolute best and see new challenges as an opportunity to contribute, make an impact, and grow.
- Commitment. At Thomson Reuters, commitment to customer satisfaction and technology excellence permeates everything we do. You care tremendously about delighting our users and ensuring that our market and technical leadership is sustained and extended. You are your harshest critic and hold yourself personally accountable, jumping in and taking ownership of problems that might not even be in your team’s scope.
- Engineering/software development of scalable, reliable and highly available services and APIs using micro services architecture patterns and REST principles. Follow Twelve-factor App methodology to develop the services
- Design and development of compute engines using computing frameworks like Apache Spark and analytics solutions using Hadoop framework (MapReduce, HDFS, Hive, Impala, Parquet)
- Develop cloud native solutions that run on cloud infrastructure like AWS.
- Partner with Business Analysts to develop user stories and to maintain a groomed product backlog
- Effective application of agile software development methodology. Team is expected to produce production-ready code at the conclusion of every two week sprint.
- Work with architects and tech lead to determine the technical design for feature requirements
- Drive innovation through rapid prototyping and iterative development.
As a leader and transformation agent, we will look for your contributions in the following areas
- Continuously improve your skills, product expertise, and knowledge on related technical topics
- Ensure that our applications and infrastructure are designed and implemented to the highest security standards thus maintaining and enhancing customer trust
- Understanding a broad range of big data and distributed computing concepts like MapReduce, stream processing and various types of NoSQL data stores like document store, wide column store and graph store.
- Three years’ experience of Java programming in a leading-edge software engineering environment, including experience with co-located as well as geographically distributed teams.
- 1 year of experience in developing APIs using micro services based architecture in Java ecosystem. Experience with Spring and Sprint Boot frameworks is preferred.
- 1 year of experience in developing solutions for Amazon Web Service (AWS) and/or Azure development. AWS certification is a plus.
- 1 years of experience working in production big data projects using technologies including but not limited to Hadoop, HDFS, Apache Spark, Impala, Hive, Parquet, Zoo keeper.
- High level understanding of various NoSQL database technologies and experience with at least one of them with a preference for Couchbase, HBase, or Cassandra.
- Experience with graph technologies is a plus. (Triple stores, RDF, SPARQL, OWL)
- High fluency in working with Linux operating systems using the command line/shell.
- Good experience with CI/CD/DevOps processes and tools. Worked in an environment in which releasable code is delivered every two-to-four weeks.
- Whether via face-to-face discussion, phone, email, chat, white-boarding, or other collaboration platforms, you must be an effective communicator who can inform, explain, and coordinate, etc.
- Ability to build and deliver hands-on technology proof-of-concepts and demonstrations
- Experience working in Agile/Scrum team environments
- Results oriented. Detailed oriented. Driven. Take initiative without being asked.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related technical discipline is required.
Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Why is Thomson Reuters a great place for me to work?
Each of us brings a unique perspective to our work. That perspective is shaped by where we live, the business we advance, and the decisions we influence. But true impact isn't something any of us achieves alone. It's only possible when ideas connect and talents are shared. Together, the power of our perspectives will move the world. That's why you're being invited to Bring it.
What are Thomson Reuters’ core values?
- Trust: We act with integrity and independence by holding ourselves and each other to be ethical and reliable in all we do.
- Partnership: We work together, with each other, with our customers and with industry partners to deliver superior results and experiences.
- Innovation: We innovate to serve our customers, drive our growth and win in dynamic business environments.
- Performance: We deliver results, excelling at work that positively impacts the world.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 45,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Carrollton-Texas-United States of America