Thomson Reuters has recently announced the expansion of its Canadian operations with the creation of a new technology center in downtown Toronto, Ontario. Toronto is home to an emerging ecosystem of world-class technology talent and the new technology center will be the preeminent hub of innovation.
Senior Software Engineer, NLP - Editorial Analytics Platform, News Technology: NLP engineer to help create an analytics & machine learning platform to transform Reuters editorial news production. The system will create opportunities to find investable insights through signal detection, analytics, noise reduction and news automation, and, will support Reuters' journalist throughout the News production lifecycle - from discovery of news worthy events to researching the story to publication, and all that at the speed of light in an increasingly competitive landscape. We are currently seeking a passionate and entrepreneurial engineer with a consistent track record in the areas of natural language processing/generation and text analytics to drive transformational innovation in Reuters Newsroom and editorial workflows. In this position, you will collaborate with journalists, research scientists, cognitive computer center of excellence and other like-minded people across our organization to conceptualize new ideas, strategies and algorithms. You will rapidly build proof-of-concepts, test the validity and applicability of those ideas and iterate over it. Familiarity and experience with financial data and markets as well as an ability to collaborate and work with a team of talented engineers, data scientists, R&D and domain experts will be important.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- You will conceptualize new ideas; build prototypes and proof-of-concepts both in collaboration with other data scientists and as individually lead projects
- You will conceive, develop, and test algorithms using R, Python, Java, C++ etc.
- You are a standout colleague, focusing on results, collaboration and winning together
- Your team consistently delivers and delights its customers
- You are a quick learner. You are able to put in practice what you already know, and you self-learn
- You are an agile" person. You can work with different SDLC methodologies - Agile, waterfall and hybrid approaches
- You desire a fast-paced, dynamic environment. You can operate with ambiguous requirements and changing priorities, all while having a strong sense of ownership of the solutions that you deliver
- You will mentor and you help your team realize their full potential
Education: Master's Degree in Natural Language Processing or relevant technical field such as computer science, cognitive computing
- 5+ years of industry experience in relevant technologies
- Extensive experience in writing production-level code with NLP application in a high-level language (e.g. Java, C/C++, Python, Scala)
- Project-based experience with some of the following tools:
- Natural Language Processing (e.g., ClearTK, ScalaNLP/Breeze, ClearNLP, OpenNLP, NLTK, or similar)
- Applied machine learning (e.g. libSVM, Shogun, Scikit-learn or similar)
- Statistical data analysis and experimental design (e.g., using R, Matlab, Python, etc.)
- Experience partnering with internal business owners
- Excellent communication skills - Ability and passion to learn new technologies
- Experience with broader Artificial Intelligence related technologies
- Experience with AWS and related technologies a big plus
- Relational Database Systems and SQL (MySQL, SQL Server, Oracle, Sybase, Vertica)
- Analytics at BigData scale(Hadoop, Hive, NoSQL, Spark, Shark, Hive, Mahout, Impala, Solr, HBase, Pig, Cascading)
- Information extraction, data mining, data visualization
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 45,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.