Thomson Reuters is the leading source of intelligent information for the world’s businesses and professionals. We combine industry expertise with innovative technology to deliver critical information to leading decision makers in the financial and risk, legal, tax and media markets, powered by the world’s most trusted news organization.
Do you love collaborating with technical experts to solve complex problems for customers? Thomson Reuters Labs is seeking a Senior Data Scientist to join as a founding member of our Singapore team. Thomson Reuters Labs partners with internal teams, customers and third parties, such as start-ups and academics, creating rapid prototypes and data-driven innovations that land in the hands of real users in just a few short weeks.
What do we do? We experiment. We play with big data sets to discover what new products, services, or analysis we can create for our customers. You might be familiar with Reuters News, but you might not know that Thomson Reuters is also one of the leading sources of information for the world’s top companies in finance, risk, legal, tax and media. The best part? We have data. Lots and lots of data.
We are currently seeking a passionate Senior Data Scientist with an entrepreneurial spirit to join our team in Singapore. You’ll learn and be working alongside Data Scientists in our sister-labs in Boston, London, Waterloo Canada, Zurich and Cape Town. Pick the brains of PhD’s and Masters grads with experience in big data, statistics, machine learning, natural language processing, artificial intelligence, and data visualization.
Don’t get stuck optimizing ad impressions! Come work with us to build data applications defining the future of law, finance, news, and business!
- Scope and build proof-of-concepts / prototypes using data science techniques directly for TR customers
- Conceive, develop, and test algorithms with tools like R, Python, etc.
- Build external and internal relationships with technology and business leaders, working closely with colleagues to identify and shape ideas into compelling proposals that engage stakeholders
- Present proof-of-concepts to customers and grow and maintain relationships with key academic groups and start-ups, acting as an ambassador for TR Labs
- Work with external and internal partners to identify and deliver Thomson Reuters data and tools needed to build prototypes and proof-of-concepts
- Locate, clean and wrangle data. Integrate internal and external data sources using API’s
- 5+ years industry experience in text mining, big data, or machine learning (extensive experience gained through academic research may meet this requirement)
- Experience producing and rapidly delivering minimum viable products. Building API’s or web-based prototypes.
- Experience working with programming and scripting languages (e.g., Python, R, Scikit-Learn, NumPy, Pandas)
- Experience with API’s and databases (Relational, NoSQL, Graph databases)
- Ability to track down complex data integration issues, evaluate different algorithmic approaches, and analyze data to solve problems
- Willingness to work with structured and unstructured data deriving valuable new insights and possibilities
- Data Visualization
- Big data analytics (e.g., Spark, MLlib, Hadoop, Hive, Impala, Solr)
- Experience in one or more Thomson Reuters verticals (Finance, Risk, Legal, Tax and Accounting)
Education / Certifications:
- Preferred: Master’s Degree or PhD in a relevant technical field, such as computer science, applied mathematics or a related discipline such as physics or chemistry